Clay is an earthy material of fine grained minerals with traces of metal oxides and organic matter.
Pottery can be created without the use of a potter's wheel. The potter's wheel did not appear in history until only 4 000 years ago. The main construction methods were pinch and coil methods.
Clay has been used for many things throughout human history: a writing surface, building material, money, storage containers, cooking vessels and serving plates, electronic device parts, ceramic shields or tiles are used on space ships. Ceramics is a major tool for dating cultures in archeology studies.
the 10 golden rules of ceramics
- Clay must be thoroughly covered up with a plastic bag to keep it from drying out. This applies to works in process and moist clay.
- Clay dust can be harmful if you are exposed to it for long periods of time, so keep your area clean, clay scraps off the floor and clean with water and sponge.
- Clay should be no thicker than your thumb.
- In order for clay to stick together it must be scored and and slipped together while the clay is moist (plastic) or leather hard.
- Wedge clay to remove air bubbles, achieve uniform consistency, and to line up the clay particles.
- Trapped air can cause clay to explode. So hollow out sculptural forms and put needle holes through enclosed forms for air to escape.
- Don't glaze the bottom of the piece.
- Wash the piece before glazing.
- Handle your project with two hands at all times. In other words - be careful! - it's your hard work.
- NEVER handle another person's work even if it looks cool!
With the COVID-19 pandemic, Art Classes are on HOLD
You get 4 pounds of clay.
You will be able to make 2 to 4 items.
you will built or do Wheel turning Your choice
You will get each piece ready to fire,
then pick the glaze you would like for each piece.
Items take anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks to Dry
then they will be fired at 06.
You will be called Or emailed after firing.
Second class will be glazing your pieces.
This will take another week to be fired.
All item must be picked up within 3 months.